Monday, April 19, 2010

THE DEATH OF BLOGG

I forgott (stet) whether blogg has two g's or three. Let's leave it as two in the text. We can always call in a repair person later. Do blogs die? Never having written a blog or read one from beginning to end (if there is an end) I thought it a question worth asking. Maybe die is not exactly the right word. Maybe it's end. They accomplish their goal and they end. If that's the case, BLOGG will never die since its end is nothin and nothing is one of those things like minus zero that equals infinity. So I can go on dishing this shit forever. Until I die. Which brings me back to the original question. If I were to get fatally hit by a truck today, blogg would be an unfinished work of (be real now)prose. Its elecrons would go drifiting off like the memories of dead people and in a relatively short period of time it would effectively cease to exist. But if I found that I had a slow spreading terminal condition and could pretty much count on dying with three to six months, what would I do. Would I try to find a conclusion with which to end blogg if such a thing is possible (other than "the end.") Or would I immediately switch go another blogg about my imminent demise- hopefully something more serious than the hiink we have been playing with here. A testimony for my kids, parents, relatives. But know what? The electrons still go wafting off into space, maybe a week or two later. Old blogs are like stale bread. The blog medium probably won't even exist in six months, having been transmogrified into something that zaps from the clouds onto your ipad with commercials. There will be a blog bestseller list (there probably is already) even though you are not selling anything. The point this is arching toward is that I am not in any imminent peril but I am not young enough to fuck around completely with what time I may have left, so blogg should have its serious aspects--- not just a man juggling flaming orange juice cartons on a goat, though that would make a nice cover if this ever became a book. So I pledge (and this may be hard for both of us to believe) that this will be the best I am capable of doing while I am alive. I doubt (unless my theology is way off) that I will be able to do much better when I am dead. I will try to write each blog as if it were my last or at least have each blog end in such a way that I would not be completely embarrassed. This will be difficult to do because l) it is difficult to do and 2) I will probably have forgotten all this by tomorrow's entry. So let's end today with a bow to mortality, which proves something important that we haven't discovered yet, as opposed to the ending of blogs which proves as much as their beginnings-- nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment