Wednesday, March 31, 2010

getting serious

When I wrote the title to this post, I realized halfway through that I was still in lower case though I wanted titles in upper. Given the subject matter I am dealing with, why should that matter? Why should anything matter? (you're too old to be asking that). Seriousness is sort of like Einstei's cosmological constant, which I still don't understand despite having read two of Brian Greene's fine books on physics. But I think I get the jist of it. It may be the wrong just but it still illustrates the point. Seriousness is a sort of particle that gets into things whether you want it to or not. It can even get into so-called funny things. It fills all available space with its meaning, which is that whatever you are reading is something you are not supposed to yuk about. I fail to see anything serious in whether I lower or upper case my title but I approached the subject as if the fall of Rome depended on it. Point: the more I do this, the more (secretly, but it's our little secret)I think this is something to be taken seriously. This contrasts directly with the initial direction we took where the whole point was not to be taken serious and leads us to: I want my non-seriousness to be taken seriously. This sounds strangey like Becket or a French existentialist, neither of whom I have read.
The reasons I want my non-seriousness taken seriously are complex and may involve events of a personal nature which I am not going to reveal. On the other hand, they may involve nothing at all other than another LA march into a swamp which I am happy to reveal before you get your feet wet. If you are smiling as you read this, you are fine. If you are not, you need examine your frown and determine whether it is LA related.If it is, you are in deep shi and certainly I, the author cannot save you even if I could. I am aware that that last sentence makes no syntactical sense whatsoever but it sounded so good I couldn't resist. I probably could torture into makeing some sort of syntatactical sense but I don't want to wander off on too many tangents. We still have lots of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment